What is Lung Cancer
Lung cancer happens when cells in the lung change (mutate). They grow uncontrollably and cluster together to form a tumor. There are two main types of lung cancer, small cell lung cancer, and non-small cell lung cancer.
Lung cancer symptoms include:
- A cough that doesn’t go away and gets worse over time
- Constant chest pain
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Frequent lung infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia
- Coughing up blood
Many people with lung cancer don’t have symptoms until the disease is in its later stages. Because there are very few nerve endings in the lungs, a tumor could grow without causing pain or discomfort.
Am I at Risk
- Smoking is the greatest risk factor
- Hazardous Chemicals such as: asbestos, uranium, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, nickel and some petroleum
- Air pollution